These two serious but beautiful works come from the "Seven Characteristic Pieces" for piano composed by Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-1847). They are arranged for the organ by E. T. Chipp.
Edmund Thomas Chipp (25 December 1823 – 17 December 1886) was an English organist and composer. His compositions were principally church organ music and oratorios. He was born in London on Christmas Day, 25 December 1823. He was the eldest son of musician (Thomas) Paul Chipp (1793–1870) harpist, principal drummer of his day and chorister of the Chapel Royal, Whitehall. He was educated in the Chapel Royal as a chorister, and later became a member of William IV's and then Queen Victoria's private band. He was a Chorister of the Chapel Royal under William Hawes from the age of seven until he was 17. On 28 June 1838 Chipp sang at the coronation of Queen Victoria.
Chipp studied the organ under George Cooper (organist at St Pauls Cathedral and St. James's Palace d.1838), and violin. He became a Member of the Society of British Musicians in 1842 and of the Royal Society of Musicians in 1848. He was violinist in Her Majesty's Private Band from 1844, and a violinist in the Philharmonic and other orchestras.
In 1859 he obtained a music degree at Cambridge University and became Doctor of Music in 1861.
The Musical Times of 1 February 1887 stated: "Mr Chipp's skill as an organist was by no means confined to his church duties; he was often called upon to display the resources of new organs.
Chipp also has a close association with the Sonatas of Mendelssohn, having been involved with the first performances of them on 13 December 1848.
This work is more chordal, although the writing has interesting and flowing counterpoint, written in the "sincere manner" that characterize all of Mendelssohn's works.
The score is attached, as well as a painting of Mendelssohn, a drawing of Chipp, and some photos of the magnificent Ely Cathedral, Chipp's final post as organist.